lunes, 29 de abril de 2013

My Final Blog Post in Brazil

     It is hard to believe that my journey in Brazil is rapidly coming to an end. This Saturday, I will be flying home to Chicago and the reality of graduating college and the ‘real world’ will set in. Until then, I am focusing my mind on enjoying each and every day I have left in Brazil. At the end of this blog post, I will elaborate on what I have done to prepare the next intern to take my place.

     As I mentioned in my last blog post, I visited Iguazu Falls two weekends ago. My flight left on Thursday night from Curitiba and I arrived in Iguazu Falls roughly around midnight. Coincidentally, Joao, the husband of the director of Brazilian Experience (the agency that placed all of the George Mason students in their internships and Portuguese classes) was on my same flight. As a result, I ended up getting a ride from the airport to my colleague Andre's house from my internship, where I would be staying for the weekend. Upon arriving at Andre's family's house, I was mesmerized from the sheer size of the house and property. Within the property, Andre's family's house had eight bedrooms and five bathrooms, a pool, hot tub, soccer field and additional guest house with four more bedrooms. I have truly been lucky throughout my experience in Brazil.

     On Friday, I spent the morning taking in the property and getting to know Andre's family. In addition to his immediate family, some of Andre's cousins from Sao Paolo were also staying on the property to experience the X Games in Brazil. Later on that afternoon, I ventured off with Andre's sister to buy a couple of gifts for friends and family back home. Upon returning, we all drove over to the X Games to watch the BMX and Moto X Big Air Final. My friend Laura from George Mason was staying at a hostel nearby so she was able to tag along. After watching those two events, we stayed to catch a concert from a Brazilian rock band from Rio de Janeiro. We capped off the night enjoying a couple of beers with some of the other international students that were staying at Laura's hostel. I met two guys from France, one guy from Italy and a girl from Mexico. Despite all of our distinct backgrounds, it was a really a cool experience to speak in Portuguese together given the fact that Portuguese was everybody's second or third language.

     On Saturday, Andre's family and I headed to the Iguazu Falls state park to watch the skateboarding half-pipe final, which featured some of the world´s best skateboarders like Bob Burnquist. After catching the end of the half-pipe final, I walked over to the waterfalls to experience one of the seven natural wonders of the world live in person. There are truly no words to describe the natural beauty and power of the waterfalls in Iguazu. The fact that the waterfalls are located in the middle of three countries (Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay) is an experience in itself. On my way back, I coincidentally ran into Mehanna, my boss from my internship at TORO Investimentos, who was also taking in the waterfalls with two of his friends from Curitiba.    

     During my last full day in Iguazu Falls, I decided to relax and spend most of the day talking with Andre's family and experiencing the neighborhood surrounding the property. In the afternoon, I ventured off to Argentina to do some shopping with Andre, his girlfriend, and his sister. Later on that day, I went go-karting with Andre and his brothers which turned out to be a blast. That night, I met up with Daniel and Laura from George Mason at a bar that was hosting a party for all of the X Games athletes and international workers. We ended up meeting Tony Hawk (arguably the world's most famous skateboarder) and sitting with some of the professional skateboarders from the U.S. that were so glad to have finally found friends that spoke English. As a result, we had a myriad of local people come to our table and request to take photos. Later on, these same local people came back to our table asking to sit with us, offering to buy the next round for the table. One of the guys that ended up sitting with us was from Uruguay and didn’t speak Portuguese. Later on, he asked me if I spoke Spanish as he admitted he didn’t speak Portuguese all that well. Upon responding affirmatively, I started talking with him in Spanish while I was simultaneously having conversations with the American skateboarders in English and the other local people in Portuguese. After the fact, my head was spinning but as I look back, it was truly a definitive moment in my ability to speak three languages.

     Getting back to my internship, it is just as hard to wrap my head around the fact that after today, I only have two more days at TORO Investimentos (Wednesday is a federal holiday). In terms of preparing my area and work for the next intern, the fact that there are two interns that are working beside me will significantly aid to the ease of the transition. Augusto and Diego (my fellow Brazilian interns) plan on continuing to intern with TORO for the next few months. As I mentioned previously, Diego works in the morning and Augusto works with me in the afternoons. Whereas Diego and Augusto have done normal intern tasks, like answering the phones, tending to clients for meetings, answering emails and entering data, I have been charged with continually updating the blog that accompanies TORO Investimentos website, enhancing our social media and further developing our marketing materials and strategies.

     As I prepare to end my internship, the majority of my due diligence in terms of the transition will be to explain what I have been doing with our marketing and social media strategies and help partition my duties between Augusto and Diego. I am currently sharing Diego's workspace and as a result, leave my workspace clean at the end of each day so that the area is neat and organized when Diego comes in the next morning. As a result, the majority of my duties to help with the transition will be to clear out all of my files on the computer we share.

     With that being said, this post wraps up my blog about my reflections and experiences while living in Brazil. I appreciate everyone that has taken the time to read my blog and hope that you were able to experience some of my adventures and learning experiences vicariously.

     I wish everyone the best in their future endeavors and encourage everyone to travel and experience new cultures, places and people when given the opportunity.

All the best,
Peter

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario